To help the student develop the essential skills of defining a problem from a biblical
perspective and laying out a biblical course of action that will engage and help
the counselee in overcoming that problem.
- Must be actively involved in a body of believers.
- Successful completion of the following courses:
Biblical Counseling Methodology
of Biblical Counseling
Models of Biblical Change.
- Approval of the instructor.
- Adams, Jay Edward. The Christian Counselor's Casebook. Ministry Resources Library.
Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan Publishing House, 1986.
- Hindson, Ed, and Walter Byrd. When the Road Gets Rough. Tarrytown, NY: Fleming H.
Revell Co., 1986.
- Moorehead, Bob. Counsel Yourself & Others from the Bible : The First Place to Turn
for Life's Tough Issues. Sisters, OR: Multnomah Books, 1994.
- Mack, Wayne A. A Homework Manual for Biblical Living. Vol. 1: Personal and Interpersonal
Problems. 2 vols. Phillipsburg, NJ: P&R Publishing, 1979.
- Ward, Charles G., ed. The Billy Graham Christian Worker's Handbook : A Topical Guide
with Biblical Answers to the Urgent Concerns of Our Day. Minneapolis, MN: World Wide
- Kruis, John G. Quick Scripture Reference for Counseling. 2nd ed. Grand Rapids, Mich.:
Baker Books, 1994.
- Course outline
- Depression model diagram
- Pride model diagram
- Anger dynamics diagram
Course Length: 17 weeks - 32 impact hours
1. Overview of the course and required textbooks: How to use your resources in counseling.
for counseling: how to set up a counseling plan.
2. Sample plan: Temptation.
3. Sample plan: Worry and anxiety.
4. Sample plan: Anger and bitterness.
5. Sample plan: Depression.
6. Sample plan: Pride.
7. Sample plan: Grief.
8. Sample plan: Envy.
9. Sample plan: Alcohol abuse and addictive behaviors.
10. Case study: # 3 She simply had been waiting (p. 6).
Case study: # 4 The Job Hunter
11. Case study: # 5 I heard God's voice telling me to go to Africa (p. 10).
# 7 The affair (p. 14).
12. Case study: # 11 Why be depressed? -- You're a Christian! (p. 22).
# 12 He molested our daughter (p. 24).
13. Case study: # 15 The dispirited minister (p. 30).
Case study: # 20 "My life is
a big fat zero!" (p. 40).
14. Case study: # 8 A soft answer turns away ... Janet (p. 138)
Case study: # 33 Discipline
15. Case study: # 36 "To go on would be a waste of time..." (p. 194).
# 38 "He hasn't changed; he did it again this past week" (p. 198).
16. Case study: # 41 Six week checkup (p. 204).
Case study: # 42 "Religion is not
my thing" (p. 206).
17. Final Exam.